Board Member Posting
The Hamilton Literacy Council helps adults improve their literacy skills, providing them with a strong foundation to work towards their personal goals.
We are a non-profit, community-based organization that provides basic training in reading, writing, math, computer and workplace essential skills to English-speaking adults. Our service is free, private, one-to-one and/or small group classes. We have been assisting adults with their literacy skills since 1973.
We are looking for passionate individuals with skills and vision to contribute as members of our volunteer Board of Directors. Given the experience of current board members, the Board is seeking individuals who bring expertise in one or more of the following areas:
Financial Management Legal and Regulatory Issues Fund Raising
As part of our commitment to inclusivity, diversity, equity and accessibility, our goal is a governance structure that reflects the communities we serve. We invite all qualified individuals to apply including individuals with disabilities, those who identify as Black, Indigenous or persons of colour, members of the LGBTQ2S+ community, or those with lived experience as a family member of an individual with a disability and others.
- Attend the Annual General Meeting (held in June) and 9 regular monthly meetings. Meetings are held on the last Wednesday evening of the month, (no meetings are held in July, August or December). We are currently meeting virtually to protect the health and safety of our members.
- Come to meetings prepared (review agenda and supporting materials), and actively participate in the meetings.
- Be knowledgeable about the HLC – its mission, strategic plan, programs, by-laws, policies, operations, finances, challenges and opportunities. Training for new members will be provided.
- Understand the boundaries of your role as an advisor on a governance board and that of the Executive Director and staff.
- Abide by all conflict of interest and confidentiality policies of the HLC.
- Participate on at least one subcommittee.
- Participate in social and other functions sponsored by the HLC when your schedule allows.
- Promote/communicate with others about the work of the organization, and show your support for the organization when talking with others.
- Pay annual HLC membership fee of $15.
- Commit to a minimum of 2 years (maximum four 2-year terms).
We are committed to an inclusive, barrier-free, selection process and environment. If contacted in relation to a Board Director opportunity, please advise us of any accommodation measures that may be required to enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner.
If you are interested in receiving additional information about this opportunity, please contact our Executive Director, Helen McLeod, at email@example.com
Additional information will be shared with you to guide your application.