Make a difference
How to Become a Volunteer
Saturday, October 28th & Saturday, November 4th, 2023
9:00 – 4:00 p.m. (two-day workshop, must attend both days)
Step 1: Contact Us
Email us at email@example.com or call 905-529-9907
Step 2: Attend an Orientation Session
A member of the HLC team will contact you by phone to arrange a date for your orientation session. At this session, you will:
- learn more about the Literacy Council
- hear volunteer responsibilities and rights
- complete a written skills assessment
- discover if this is the right volunteer opportunity for you
Step 3: Attend the Basic Training Workshop
After orientation, you will attend two 6-hour training workshops and submit your Volunteer Tutor Application along with your $15 membership fee. The annual membership fee covers supplementary training workshops, access to tutoring resources, and entitles you to voting privileges at our Annual General Meeting. You are required to attend both sessions of the Training Workshop. After 30 hours of tutoring, you will be eligible for certification as a Laubach Literacy Ontario Tutor.
We ask all volunteer tutors to commit to approximately four hours of tutoring per week for one year.
A tutor needs excellent communication skills (particularly speaking and writing), patience, and empathy. A complete position description is included in the Volunteer Tutor information package. A written skills assessment is completed at Orientation.
If we have a student who is a good fit for you, you will be matched shortly after training is completed.
In the tutoring rooms at our office location or at a nearby library.
Please note – the YWCA closes at 4:00 on Sundays.
Please call the YWCA at 905 529-9922 for holiday hours
Help shape our mission
Join the HLC board
We’re currently looking for two new members to join our board, specifically those with a background in Financial Management, Legal and Governance, and Leadership. Download the posting position document below and get in touch to learn more about applying,
HLC board member responsibilities
Joining the board of the Hamilton Literacy Council offers a unique opportunity to contribute your expertise, skill and experience to drive meaningful change within our organization. If you’re interested in becoming a board member, please contact our team.
Each member of the board is required to fulfill the following obligations:
- Attend the Annual General Meeting (held in June) and nine regular monthly meetings. Meetings are held on the last Wednesday evening of the month (no meetings are held in July, August or December).
- Come to meetings prepared (review agenda and supporting materials), and actively participate in the meeting discussions.
- Be knowledgeable about the HLC – its mission, strategic plan, programs, by-laws, policies, operations, finances, challenges, and opportunities. Training for new members will be provided.
- Understand the boundaries of your role as an advisor on a policy governance board and that of the Executive Director and staff.
- Abide by all conflict of interest and confidentiality policies of the HLC.
- Participate on at least one subcommittee.
- Participate in social functions and other events sponsored by the HLC when your schedule allows.
- Promote and communicate with others about the work of the organization, and show your support for the organization when talking with others.
- Pay an annual HLC membership fee of $15.
- Commit to a minimum of two years (maximum four two-year terms).
What our students are saying
“I’m proud of how far I’ve come from the day I started to where I am now. I really love the HLC and I recommend it to everybody I know.”Zahra S.Tutored Student
“HLC changed my life in a big way. I used to be shy, but now I’ll say anything in English.”Ibtisam G.Small Group Student
“I have more confidence now. I am satisfied I can talk and do a job very well.”Aliya L.Small Group Student
“Speaking English was the most important thing I learned. I was too shy to speak before. I wouldn’t talk at all. Now my skills are much better.”Samar N.Small Group Student